Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Calming down

Friday we bought a house. Saturday was spent in shock. And then Saturday night, JJ disappeared into the work black hole. He's just now emerging -- today is his zombie day, where he sleeps from 9am to 1pm or so and then spends the rest of the day in a daze. It's really the only way to adjust back to a daytime schedule.

Anyway, this has meant that I've had nothing but time to myself to second-guess the house. Is it the right house? Did we get a good deal? Is this even the right area for us?

Now that JJ's re-emerging, I've got someone else to talk to who can bring me back to reality. Yes, the house is fine. It's not perfect, but it meets all of our criteria. Yes, we got a good deal. Could it have been better? Maybe. But we were even prepared to offer more, so it's a good deal to us. Is this the right area? For now, yes. With a baby and me as a stay-at-home mom, this is a good place for us. Down the line, that might change. But moving (say, back to CA) would mean giving up some big things that I'm not prepared to lose right now.

So I'm calming down. Tomorrow's the inspection, and I think another chance to see the house will reassure me.

I spent an awesome morning today wandering around Lowes. I had A. in her hip carrier, and she was babbling and laughing and waving to all of the computers we passed. I was living my dream -- walking around a home store, looking for things for OUR house. I priced carpet, discovered that you can lay laminate over tile (awesome!), looked at bathroom light fixtures, scanned through the riding mowers, and did a once-over of the paint chips (ah, memories). I can't wait to get that house spruced up to what I see in my mind.

No comments: