Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Big changes

This blog is intended to chronicle a major change for my family. After nearly 7 years living a continent away from what I still consider my home, we're moving back to the East Coast.

It's a time of mixed feelings. This move will bring us closer to our families, allow us to buy a house, and give me the opportunity to be a full-time mom to our daughter, A. But it also means leaving fabulous jobs for both my husband and I, as well as leaving the area which, although I never came to see as my home, we've spent most of our lives together in.

We fly out in 3 and a half weeks. There's a pile of move logistics that have to be arranged, ends to tie up, and people to see one last time. But I'm spending most of my time trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I'm leaving my job.

It was my first job out of college; I did a not-insignificant amount of growing up while there. It shaped me to a great extent. I've defined myself by my job for many years, because I'm so proud of the company I work for, the work I do, and the people I work with. Losing that big part of my identity is going to take a toll.

Stay-at-home-mom is great, but do diapers and nap times and baby talk compare to down servers and tight deadlines and losing yourself in code? What else will I find to fill that hole?

Well, I've always wanted to try kayaking....

No comments: